All Classes Explained
We offer three types of group classes:
One class a week, at the same time and place, for 10 (or 5) consecutive weeks. These are sequential classes that offer progressive learning from the start to the end of the course, also with the same group of students each week.
Classes that run every week, and work on a ‘pay as you go’ basis. Each week’s class is a standalone hour of dancing that is not sequentially linked to the previous or following week’s class. Attend as frequently or infrequently as you like.
The option to take some classes on a 10 or 5 week course, without booking the full course. Certain restrictions apply for course visits – click here for more information.
Levels & Themes
We’ve structured our classes into levels and themes, each with their own complete syllabus which is unique to our School. We’ve developed and refined this structure based on our experience over the last decade and what we’ve found works best for our students. Belly dancing is eclectic by nature, so you’ll find differences and similarities between all schools around the world.
We’ve also developed a thorough instructor training methodology, enabling us to deliver consistency across all of our classes. This means you can learn each level with a different instructor of our team (if you want to) and you can be sure your progress will be true to our syllabus and the heart of our School.
Here’s an overview of the classes we teach:
- Belly Dance Level 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Drum Solo Level 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6
- Tribal Fusion Belly Dance Level 1, 2, 3 and 4
- Belly Dance with Props (e.g. swords, veils, fanveils, isis wings, finger cymbals, saidi canes)
- Hybrid Fusions (e.g. Belly-Bollywood, Belly-Hip-Hop, Turkish Fusion Belly Dance)
- Specific Focus (e.g. Isolations, Improvisation & Musicality, Create-Perfect-Perform)
But so, what style exactly is the “belly dance” that you teach?
In short, our core belly dance levels 1 to 6 are best seen as popular belly dance, or oriental pop.
Although it’s a little tricky to define the exact style of belly dancing we teach, we can give you an explanation here if it’s something you’re keen to know. (And we’ll also tell you why it’s so tricky to define!)
Do you offer an opportunity to perform?
Yes, some of our 10-week courses have a performance opportunity! Find out before you enrol, our course pages display one of the following:
- Non-performance: There is no option to perform at the show with this course
- Optional performance: There is an option to perform at the show, but you can decide whether you do or not during the course
- Definite performance: Everyone on the course is performing – decided at enrollment time
Benefits of a Performance course
- Learning a mixture of techniques and choreography
- Practising a full choreography to a song over and over to solidify your brain memory (& movement memory!)
- The option to gain stage experience by performing the choreography with your classmates at the Belly Dance Showcase
- Challenging yourself beyond your comfort zone if you’re hesitant about performing on stage
- The sense of exhilaration that comes with a live performance, and with your friends and family cheering for you from the audience!
Benefits of a non-performance course
You focus purely on learning techniques. Short combinations of moves are created and set to music to help with transitions between techniques, instead of learning one choreography to a full song. Since there’s no option to perform at the Belly Dance Showcase with these courses, there is more time for technique depth & focus.
- The opportunity to focus solely on fully mastering individual techniques
- Concentrating on progressing at your own pace, rather than for a performance date
- A different belly dancing experience if you usually perform with us, but you know you’re busy on the date of this term’s Belly Dance Showcase
What level am I?
Our level classifications are specific to our School, and below are only intended to provide a very rough guide to the previous experience required for each level.
All students progress at their own speed, and there is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ pace of learning. If you’re unsure about the right level for you, please email us to book an assessment with one of our instructors.
Level 1 – Beginner: No previous experience necessary, start here!
Level 2 – Improver: You’ve completed Level 1 & feel comfortable to move up. –> Approx. 2 – 3 months weekly classes & practice
Level 3 – Intermediate: You’ve completed Level 2 (probably twice!) to really solidify your muscle lengthening on camels and vertical 8s. Your body loves moving with muscle and is ready for further growth. –> Approx. 6 months weekly classes & practice
Level 3/4 – Intermediate-Advanced: You’ve completed 1 or more Level 3 courses and/or some initial Level 4 training. Level 4 feels a bit premature, but you’re comfortable enough to have a higher pace than Level 3. This is a fantastic transition course bridging the two levels with a super wide variety of movements. –> Approx. 9 months weekly classes & practice
Level 4 – Advanced: You’ve fully mastered Level 3, haggala walks and undulations feel easy to you now and you’re craving for more! This is a faster paced learning environment and you’re expected to revise earlier levels if some foundation techniques are holding you back. –>Approx. 12 months or more of weekly classes & practice
Level 4/5 – Advanced-Higher: Level 4 feels easy (ish!) but there still techniques you’d like to digest better, and you’re not quite yet ready for full-on Level 5 challenge. This course is an excellent transition to ease you into Level 5 whilst still revisiting Level 4. –> Approx. 15 months or more of weekly classes & practice)
Level 5 – Higher: You’ve completed 2 x 10 weeks of Level 4 and feel really confident + have your instructor pushing you to move on to Level 5 – it feels time, and you’re ready to take that jump! –> Approx. 18 months or more of weekly classes & practice
Level 6 – Higher-Plus: Successfully completed and digested Level 5! You REALLY enjoy challenging techniques, layering, fast paced learning and you get stimulated by being pushed outside your comfort zone each & every class! –> Approx. 24 months or more of weekly classes & practice
Our Level 4, 5 and 6 courses are our most advanced and require approval / assessment from one of our instructors for entry.
Remember, the above is a very general guide for a rough overview of each level. The speed of your progression depends on many factors that are individual to you, and if you’re new to our School, email us to have a level assessment with one of our instructors.
Do you have questions? We’d love to hear from you 🙂